Saturday, September 29, 2007

Orcas Island & Oly Penninsula Trip

I took a trip up to Orcas Island, which is the largest of the San Juan Islands to enjoy our early Autumn weather and it was the perfect time to travel. The Summer crowds were long gone and most of the beaches were deserted and I was able to enjoy the natural beauty in peace.
The rippling water was so incredibly relaxing and hypnotic and time seemed to stand still as I sat on the beach and starred at the seaAfter spending two perfectly dry and sunny days on Orcas, I awoke to my first overcast morn and took a final drive around the island before taking the ferry back to Anacortes. Some may find the below pic to be dreary and sad but I thought it was incredibly beautiful in its starkness and loved exploring this foggy land.I drove through Deception Pass into Whidbey Island and found yet another almost deserted beach to chill on in the late afternoon sun.
The next day I took another ferry ride which dropped me onto the Olympic Peninsula and I drove west on Hwy 101 to Neah Bay. I didn't realize the Makah Reservation was a dry area and I found myself in a very scary fisherman's motel at night with no wi-fi, cable tv, books or any alcohol.

Oh Dearest Lord in Heaven, please help me during this very dark time!

On the last day of my trip, I awoke at the ass-crack of dawn and took a quick drive to Flattery Point which is most northwestern point in the lower U.S. I took the mile long hike along Flattery Trail to look-out area and relaxed on the wooden observation deck and enjoyed the view.

No comments: